Acne is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition that causes spots and pimples, especially on the face, shoulders, back, neck, chest, and upper arms.
Whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, cysts, and nodules are all types of acne.
It is the most common skin condition in the United States, affecting up to 50 million Americans yearly.
It commonly occurs during puberty, when the sebaceous glands activate, but it can occur at any age. It is not dangerous, but it can leave skin scars.
The glands produce oil and are stimulated by male hormones produced by the adrenal glands in both males and females.
What causes Acne? Does stress cause Acne?
Genetics and hormones. Usually self-limiting, it’s commonly seen in teenagers, though frequent in adulthood too. Stress can induce changes in hormones that can lead to acne.
Frequent washing of face reduces Acne?
It’s a myth that acne is caused by dirty skin. Frequent washing can actually irritate the skin, even more, making it look worse and sometimes even increasing the oil production.
What are my treatment options?
- Medicean ups, done by skillful and trained personnel
- Chemical peels, specific to your skin condition and severity to improve active lesions, blemishes, superficial scars, and textural irregularities.
- ‘Oxybath therapy’ to maintain oil-free radiant sheen for longer.
- Lightening laser can be used in conjunction to improve post-acne pigmentation and blemishes
- Laser resurfacing for acne pits and scars to render silky smooth even-textured skin.